"The Gaucherie aux Dames is situated on the site of ancient castle and its farms found on the communal boundaries of le Voide and Montilliers. Before the French Revolution, the castle was found in Montilliers, but the lords of the castle were buried in the Voide.
Ancient fiefdom et Lordship belonging to the domain of the Coudray-aux-Roux and the fiefdom du Riou. In 1412, it belonged to Philippe de Montsoreau, then in the XV-XVIth centuries, to the family: Deshommes.
In 1602 , Nicolas de Sainte Cécile the husband of Jeanne de Lescalle, became owner of the Gaucherie. The family of de Sainte Cécile owned the castle up until the middle of the 18th century. It was then passed on to Louis Jacques de Jousselin, an officer of the King's army.
The chapel, dedicated to Saint Emerance, was presented by the lord to the bishop of La Rochelle. After a pastoral visit in 1723 by Monseigner de Chamflour, the chapel was declared in " good conditions and supplies the necessary. Its worldly value was estimated at 36 pounds, One mass per week was celebrated here."; The chaplain at that time was the Father de Saint-Georges-Châtelaison. In 1772, it was the priest of Vernantes, René du Bellèure du Tronchet.
The castle, rebuilt in 1854, is comprised of a triple corps in body. The old castle was converted into a farm; the property in the 19th century belonged to M. Deschamps from Cholet, then M. Hector. Today it is a farm.
Taken from the Anjou history book: "Célestin Port - Anjou historique"
The Gaucherie aux Dames has seen history: crusades, wars, hard times and joys. We are still trying to learn the history of this place as we slowly renovate its old walls. We find foundations (no hidden treasures yet!) and slowly are piecing together a bit of the history; history created by each passing owner. We find stones from fallen buildings that have rebuilt others. We do know that the castle owner during the Revolutionary War was caught hiding and was guillotined in 1793 in the Center of Angers. We, however, do not know who were the "dames" in the name of the Gaucherie aux Dames. Was it a convent? Or.....???? We continue to learn what history can offer us.